Monday, October 1, 2012

I was introduced to racism......at 12 years old!

It was Thanksgiving day.
I was 12 years old.
It was the scariest day of my entire life thus far.
It was the day that I was introduced to racism....by the person that was always suppose to protect me.
It was the day I decided that I didn't need a certain man in my life.

I will leave out the details because I have had my share of debating over the topic, but most that know me, know the story.  It was a day that I have nightmares over.....A LOT!  I am 16 years older than I was then and I still don't understand it.  I don't understand a lot about life, but I have grown to understand a multitude of things.  I don't see color.  I don't form opinions on a person because of the color of their skin.  I don't know what "interracial" is.

No really.  What is "interracial?"  My mom and step-dad are interracial.  My mom is a card carryin' Cherokee indian and my step-dad....well he isn't!  So there it is, they are interracial.  My sister-in-law is married to a hispanic man.  They are interracial.  Chances are, if you really take a chance to look at your marriage/relationship/children....yep...interracial.

So why is it that some people put such a stigma on those that are in a black/white relationship?  I have been with my husband for almost 10 years and can't wait to be with him for the next 50+ years, God willing.  We have been met with more skepticism and questioning over the last 10 years, but that is something we both laugh and brush off.  You want to know what bothers me the most?  The looks.  The people that look at you with disbelief and whisper something.  Those people need lessons on whispering under their breath, because none of them are good at it.  There was one time, while shopping at the mall, we were going up the escalator as another couple was going down.  The lady literally looked straight at us and said, "that is so disgusting!"

To be honest, I have grown a thicker skin over the last 10 years, but I have also become more aware.  Aware of looks, aware of snickers, aware of the ugliness of this world.  Why have I become more aware?  I have two amazingly beautiful children that I am going to have to send into this sick world.  These two children do not know color and my prayer is that I can teach them to never see the world and the people in it as "colors."  They are special.  They are strong.  They are brilliant.  I hope that they never have to be taught what racism is by anyone other than my husband and I.  They will be taught that there are people who will not accept them for one reason or another.  Perhaps it is because they are smart.  Athletic.  Nerd.  Or maybe it is because their skin is absolutely beautiful, just like them.  My sister once told my nephew that there will be people that don't "like" him because he is black and others that may not "like" him because he is white.  As true as that statement may be, I wish it weren't so.

We live in a time that everyone is different in one way or another.  Perhaps it is your sexuality, or the way you dress.  Maybe you have tattoos and piercings or different hair.  Or maybe you are a bit of it all.  We are all different, some are just more proud of their differences than others.

My wish is that there is one person that reads this and agrees to look at people a little differently.  There are bad people in this world, but let them prove that, not their skin color.  One bad thing, by one person of the race you don't like and automatically they all are the same.  Is that fair.  What if the shoe were on the other foot?  Just step back and realize...you are different too.  You are an individual.   You are loved by someone and so is that person that is being made fun of or criticized.

What will it take to stop the bullying?  Stop the stereotyping?  Stop the hate?  Make life worth living for everyone you meet.  Shake a hand of someone you would normally pass by without acknowledging.  Smile.  Laugh.  Love.

I have left a job after being called a racist.  I have lost clients DURING a photoshoot when it came up that my children were mixed because they "hated" blacks that much.  I have been bashed on a public forum in my hometown for having the family I have.  I have been through more than you could probably imagine, but I don't let it get me down because as far as I am concerned I have THE BEST family that has ever been :)

Love me or hate me, it is up to you.  I am a good person and will give you the shirt off my back, but talk about or mess with my family and be scared.  Be very scared!

It is with love that I hope this message comes across as positive and that tomorrow.....well tomorrow I hope you talk about it.  Let someone know that you are proud of your interracial relationship.  Or better yet, you are proud of your colorless relationship because remember, Jesus loves the little children........

6 comments:

  1. I just love you! All the way from Ga!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) That is a good place to have love from! You are equally as loved in OK!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and your family are of greatness and with such greatness, haters will soon follow. Sending lots of love to you from Austin, Texas. Hold your head high, because as you said: We are all God's Children, and are loved like no other. <3 <3 <3 Give your precious angels big hugs and kisses, and Dad a huge pat on the back from me... you all are doing an AMAZING job raising future leaders!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! I didn't know you guys have had to go through that kind of garbage. So sorry for people who let skin color get in the way of compassion and love. I will confess one confusion/doubt about inter-racial marriage and that is strictly what I have heard about the children and how they are mistreated from both races they belong to. It is sad, but very real in this ugly world! I love you guys, and my kids still call you kids their cousins. We have 2 families at church that are mixed and they are very sweet people. I can't imagine them going through this too. I guess because I don't think that way, I don't realize what others put you guys through. I hope to ingrain in my children that color doesn't make people better or less of a person! God loves us all and His Word teaches we are all equal. Love you guys and praying for you! Chin up girl!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The other day Sophia was trying to help me know who she was talking about and she said "the girl with the curly hair." I was so proud because there were other ways she could have described the girl, but my daughter is color blind, too. She doesn't see different color skin. I love that. But on the stares and whispers that aren't whispers...I get that with Eli and I don't think I will ever be okay with it. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete